Tuesday, November 06, 2007

100,000 Reasons to Celebrate

Today was a day that will go down in history. It may not ever make it in a school textbook but it will make it on this blog for the world to remember.

I witnessed one of my vehicles hit the 100,000 mile mark.



"Big deal," you say? Actually, yes it is. If you knew my past history with cars you would understand the significance of this extremely rare and very eagerly celebrated occasion. The anticipation of the 100,000 mile arrival began last week when we took the 2001 Honda Odyssey to the dealership to have the transmission inspected before the warranty expired (faulty year model they extended coverage on to 100k) and to have the 90,000 mile (really the 99,856 mile) service done. After the minivan checked out with a good transmission and some much deserved pampering, my mind started contemplating the beginning of the end of her first 100,000 miles.

Our family did not run up the entire 100k, though. We purchased the van used on eBay back in the Fall of 2004 with about 52,000 miles on it. It sure has seen some good naps, comfortable road trips, and a lot of fun washings with us here in Austin, TX.




This morning on the way to drop off my son at school I noticed the odometer was quickly approaching the historical number. My heart started beating faster and I found myself worrying about not noticing the change from 99,999.9 to 100,000. What if I was moving in traffic or going through a school zone and forgot to look? What if some moronic Austin driver crashed into us and totaled the front end of the van at 99,995 miles and it never ran again? What if...

Thankfully none of that happened. I wrote myself a sticky note that said "Don't forget camera - van at 100k today" and left it by my keys. The big moment was due to arrive on the way home from picking up my son from school or on the way to the gym. I was ready with fresh batteries in my camera. I checked the odometer about every 1/4 mile to make sure it was still working and didn't decide to break or speed up for no good reason. I began to feel nervous. Should I have stopped at Party Pig and bought noisemakers and confetti?
:party2:
About halfway home I realized that this moment of the van hitting 100,000 miles might be even more special that I originally thought. I decided to stop for the mail while she idled gently with her fresh oil and fluids, rotated new tires, and new back brakes. As I pulled into our cove my son was puzzled as to why I was driving laps around it for 2/10 of a mile.



"Because I want her to hit 100,000 miles in the place she has been sleeping at night for the last three years," I said. She also gets pooped on most nights by the mourning doves in the trees above her but I don't tell her that. She thinks it's special that she gets a rinse-off almost every day.

What can I say? Most cars that I've owned were purchased with over 100,000 miles on them and some of the ones that had less I didn't own long enough to witness the event.

And some days it's kind of boring around here so I have to write about something.

5 comments:

bc said...

Congrats? My truck is around 90k - I'll make sure I record the epic event.

mr. big dubya said...

I didn't record it, but my 2004 CR-V is now at 132,000+ - yes, I wrote that correctly - 2004. That's a lot of driving and it still drives like a dream.

Unknown said...

Wow. So glad to know that I am not the only one that obsesses over things like that!

My husbands Suburban has 250,000 miles on it. He insists on watching it turn to 300,000 before getting a new one.

BusyDad said...

Driving around your house until you hit 100,000 miles is something ONLY a dad would do! Cracked me up. I would have done the same.
-- BusyDad

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love the kind of things we commemorate. And my husband comes home from work and just doesn't get the significance.

Congrats on making 100,000. May you have 100,000 untroubled more miles. Hey, it is a Honda after all. :o)